Internet Life Discussion >> Sea the World

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Kim from Vancouver
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Wed Jan 07
Loc: Chicagoland
POLL: Is Universal worth the extra money?
      #3739834 - Sun Sep 26 2010 01:55 PM

We are a family of four (kids are 8 and 9). I have reservations for DW for 9 nights, 10 days of passes and quick service for $2,061. We are excited since the price is great.

Is Universal Orlando worth the extra money? It is so expensive for just a couple of days! We used to live in Cincy, Ohio and had annual passes to King's Island (Cedar Point), and don't really care about big rides since we have more than been there, done that.

Do you think a few days at Universal is really worth $800 +?
NO!
YES!

View the results for this poll

Thanks, fishies!

--------------------
"When you can't bear something but it goes on anyway, the person who survives isn't you anymore; you've changed & become someone else, a new person, the one who did bear it after all." Austin Grossman

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator    
amyr1
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Fri Jul 19
Re: POLL: Is Universal worth the extra money? new [Re: Kim from Vancouver]
      #3739855 - Sun Sep 26 2010 02:55 PM

We are having this same issue. Going to be a WDW in Jan for 10 nights. I have a 5yo and an 11yo. The 11yo is a HUGE Harry Potter fan.

I am leaning towards just sending Dh and Ds to Universal for the day. I saw a package through Dreams Unlimited that had a 1 day (2 park) ticket and transportation from Disney to Universal and back for like $130 each.

I think dd and I will stay back at Disney. She's not interested in Universal and I not too excited either.

We will be at WDW in early January and it looks like the crowd levels will be pretty low so I'd expect the same for Universal so I think if Dh and ds get there at opening and stay as long as they can they should be able to hit the major things at each park.

Amy

Kim from Vancouver
A Very Special Fishie

Re: POLL: Is Universal worth the extra money? new [Re: amyr1]
      #3739857 - Sun Sep 26 2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

We are having this same issue. Going to be a WDW in Jan for 10 nights. I have a 5yo and an 11yo. The 11yo is a HUGE Harry Potter fan.

I am leaning towards just sending Dh and Ds to Universal for the day. I saw a package through Dreams Unlimited that had a 1 day (2 park) ticket and transportation from Disney to Universal and back for like $130 each.

I think dd and I will stay back at Disney. She's not interested in Universal and I not too excited either.

We will be at WDW in early January and it looks like the crowd levels will be pretty low so I'd expect the same for Universal so I think if Dh and ds get there at opening and stay as long as they can they should be able to hit the major things at each park.

Amy

We are all huge Harry Potter fans but it is so much money!

--------------------
"When you can't bear something but it goes on anyway, the person who survives isn't you anymore; you've changed & become someone else, a new person, the one who did bear it after all." Austin Grossman

LoriB
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Wed Oct 12
      #3740005 - Sun Sep 26 2010 09:04 PM

Search this board, I asked something similar a couple months ago. We are going for 1 week and planning most of our time at WDW. We have gone to WDW 2 other times but stayed on site so no real option to venture away to any other parks. This time we are staying off site and initially planned to do Universal but I priced it out and it's $700 for 1 day! We could add another day to our Magic Your Way for like $5 person. From what I read it seems Universal has more thrill "big kid" rides which my kid are not into that yet. They're still too young. We are not Harry Potter fans so no reason to go for that. I just couldn't justify the price. We did decide to do Sea World which cost IIRC about $250 and that would cover 2 days.

Kim from Vancouver
A Very Special Fishie

Re: POLL: Is Universal worth the extra money? new [Re: LoriB]
      #3740126 - Mon Sep 27 2010 04:07 AM

Quote:

Search this board, I asked something similar a couple months ago. We are going for 1 week and planning most of our time at WDW. We have gone to WDW 2 other times but stayed on site so no real option to venture away to any other parks. This time we are staying off site and initially planned to do Universal but I priced it out and it's $700 for 1 day! We could add another day to our Magic Your Way for like $5 person. From what I read it seems Universal has more thrill "big kid" rides which my kid are not into that yet. They're still too young. We are not Harry Potter fans so no reason to go for that. I just couldn't justify the price. We did decide to do Sea World which cost IIRC about $250 and that would cover 2 days.

Thanks for the information! I am going to pass on Harry Potter. We currently live right by a Six Flaggs so I hate to waste money on just big rides.

--------------------

goonie10
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Thu Jun 02
      #3740143 - Mon Sep 27 2010 07:17 AM

I would go to Universal for a day or 2. Honestly I love Disney, but 10 days there would be a bit much for me. I would like the variety of a few days at Universal.

You will get mixed reviews on here, but my family loves Universal. We also love Disney.

I think Universal has some things that appeal more to the kids past the Princess/Pirate stage. And the rides are not really like a Cedar Point for the most part. Yes, they have a few big coasters, but they have a lot of movie themed rides that are different from what you will find at a traditional amusement park...Men In Black, Jaws, Simpsons, Spiderman etc. They are much better themed and more technical than a ride at Six Flags. Plus, if your kids like Harry Potter that part of the park really is very neat.

BTW-$800 seems awfully high for passes to Universal. How may days are you thinking? Last time I checked you can get annual power passes for under $200 each.

budbeerlady
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Mon Dec 10
Loc: 1,208 miles from Disney
Re: POLL: Is Universal worth the extra money? new [Re: goonie10]
      #3740181 - Mon Sep 27 2010 08:59 AM

Unless your family REALLY is dying to go there I would not spend the extra money for it.

We had some fun there, I had imagined it differently and I would stick with the Islands of Adventure half if we ever go again.

--------------------
I have been blessed beyond measure!

LoriB
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Wed Oct 12
      #3740188 - Mon Sep 27 2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

BTW-$800 seems awfully high for passes to Universal. How may days are you thinking? Last time I checked you can get annual power passes for under $200 each.

One day for an adult is $112 and a child is $104. My family would consist of 5 adults and 1 child. That came to $700 for us. Yeah, an annual pass is a great deal but if you don't live anywhere near Orlando and you're only going one day it's not worth doing. We only go every few years.
I do hope to do Universal some day. When my kids are ready for the bigger rides and I'd feel like we got our monies worth. I just cannot justify $700 for 1 day of Universal. Or maybe some day we'll do a more Universal, Sea World and Busch Gardens vacation rather than Disney focused, though I cannot imagine that. My kids are just crazy for that mouse.

goonie10
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Thu Jun 02
Re: POLL: Is Universal worth the extra money? new [Re: LoriB]
      #3740212 - Mon Sep 27 2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

One day for an adult is $112 and a child is $104. My family would consist of 5 adults and 1 child. That came to $700 for us. Yeah, an annual pass is a great deal but if you don't live anywhere near Orlando and you're only going one day it's not worth doing. We only go every few years.
I do hope to do Universal some day. When my kids are ready for the bigger rides and I'd feel like we got our monies worth. I just cannot justify $700 for 1 day of Universal. Or maybe some day we'll do a more Universal, Sea World and Busch Gardens vacation rather than Disney focused, though I cannot imagine that. My kids are just crazy for that mouse.

OP mentioned a family of 4 for $800. That's more than the most expensive 1 day ticket. So, while a power pass would not be worth it for a day trip, it would be cheaper than paying $200 a person.

There are a few black out dates with the power pass, and parking is not free. But that might be something to consider.

Kim from Vancouver
A Very Special Fishie

#3740286 - Mon Sep 27 2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OP mentioned a family of 4 for $800. That's more than the most expensive 1 day ticket. So, while a power pass would not be worth it for a day trip, it would be cheaper than paying $200 a person.

There are a few black out dates with the power pass, and parking is not free. But that might be something to consider.

Since at Disney the food is covered, I was including money for parking and for food. We don't bring our own food because to me it ruins the vacation to worry about food. However, I like to eat! We are going to pass on Universal for now.

--------------------

bucko
Fishie

Reged: Mon Feb 23
Loc: Minneapolis, MN
      #4005620 - Thu Feb 02 2012 12:18 PM

As an adult, Universal was one of my favorites in Orlando. But for $800, I'd probably pass.

mrsovernite
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Sat Oct 01
Loc: NE Ohio
Re: POLL: Is Universal worth the extra money? new [Re: amyr1]
      #4005641 - Thu Feb 02 2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Could you tell me where you found this? I'd love to get something like this for dd and myself!

--------------------
Cindy
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.

amyr1
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Fri Jul 19
Re: POLL: Is Universal worth the extra money? new [Re: mrsovernite]
      #4005655 - Thu Feb 02 2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Could you tell me where you found this? I'd love to get something like this for dd and myself!

wow this is an old thread. lol

I found the Universal trip (tickets plus transportation to Universal from Disney) on the Dreams Unlimited website.

Amy

TRA
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Mon Dec 06
      #4077353 - Tue Sep 04 2012 01:55 PM

Let's move on to another topic?

kjmax1
Faster Than a Speeding Mustang

Reged: Wed Nov 21
Re: POLL: Is Universal worth the extra money? new [Re: TRA]
      #4077444 - Tue Sep 04 2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Let's move on to another topic?

huh?

At any rate, I heard that they have a buy one day, get the second free right now if anyone is looking. I think it was on undercovertourist.com?

I know we will pass because the tornado thing freaked my kids OUT!! It was cool to see Scooby and Shaggy riding around in the Mystery Mobile. I loved the Lucy exhibit. My kids loved Shrek, and the baby loved Barney. However, at IOA my kids could only do a few rides because like someone said they are for older kids. Now they would all likely fit except the three youngest.

I REALLY want to do SeaWorld though!!!

--------------------
It has been said that adoption is more like a marriage than a birth: two (or more) individuals, each with their own unique mix of needs, patterns, and genetic history, coming together with love, hope, and commitment for a joint future. You become a family not because you share the same genes, but because you share love for each other.

Sammy Seal
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Tue Jan 11
Re: POLL: Is Universal worth the extra money? new [Re: kjmax1]
      #4077458 - Tue Sep 04 2012 07:15 PM

I see this thread is 2 years old. Does anyone have any updated feelings? I am planning on spending three days there this December after 9 days at Disney. I have been to Disney World four times but have never been to Universal. I would love any insight that is available! I am nervous about spending so much money!!!

buzzandzurg
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Thu Jul 22
Re: POLL: Is Universal worth the extra money? [Re: Sammy Seal]
      #4077513 - Tue Sep 04 2012 10:13 PM

We went this year after seven or eight years of Disney. Had an outstanding time and, while we love, love, love Disney, we really enjoyed the less frantic pace of the Universal parks. Undercover Tourist and Costco both had good deals on multi day tickets when we went. HTH.

--------------------
A teacher affects eternity; she can never tell where her influence stops.

Sammy Seal
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Tue Jan 11
Re: POLL: Is Universal worth the extra money? [Re: buzzandzurg]
      #4077547 - Tue Sep 04 2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

We went this year after seven or eight years of Disney. Had an outstanding time and, while we love, love, love Disney, we really enjoyed the less frantic pace of the Universal parks. Undercover Tourist and Costco both had good deals on multi day tickets when we went. HTH.

Do you think three days sounds about right? I was thinking one day at Universal and two at Islands of Adventure?

kjmax1
Faster Than a Speeding Mustang

Reged: Wed Nov 21
      #4077556 - Wed Sep 05 2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Do you think three days sounds about right? I was thinking one day at Universal and two at Islands of Adventure?

That sounds good to me! Youll get to see the Macys Day Parade I believe while there. They also have a Grinchmas or something like that....you might want to attend!

--------------------
It has been said that adoption is more like a marriage than a birth: two (or more) individuals, each with their own unique mix of needs, patterns, and genetic history, coming together with love, hope, and commitment for a joint future. You become a family not because you share the same genes, but because you share love for each other.

budbeerlady
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Mon Dec 10
Loc: 1,208 miles from Disney
      #4077751 - Wed Sep 05 2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Islands of Adventure appealed to our family more than Universal. We did both in 1 day before Harry potter was built. The lines were very short on the Thursday before Labor Day.

--------------------
I have been blessed beyond measure!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13336

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement Fishing for Deals Home

UBB.threads™ 6.3

Generated in 0.174 seconds in which 0.03 seconds were spent on a total of 16 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

2000 - 2013 Fishing For Deals LLC