Shopping Life >> Fishing For a Deal?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
AshnZach
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Sat Feb 16
Kindle or nook?
      #4012218 - Sun Feb 19 2012 01:17 PM

I'm considering buying an e-reader but I'm not sure which is the best to choose. I know you ladies could help
Which do you prefer? Is one better than the other? It's all so confusing TIA for any help!

--------------------
Mommy to Ash,Zach and Alexis

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator    
LBS
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Wed Nov 08
Loc: Bama!
Re: Kindle or nook? new [Re: AshnZach]
      #4012231 - Sun Feb 19 2012 02:09 PM

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. When I got mine, I chose Nook because then it was the only one which allowed you to borrow e-books from the library (and our local library system had started creating a great collection). Now you can do that with Kindle, too. My friends who have Nooks love those and my friends who have Kindles love those.

I have the original Nook (now called Nook 1st Edition, I believe) and got my 11yo ds a Nook Simple Touch for Christmas. The Simple Touch is much cooler -- lighter, great battery life, etc. But I still love my original Nook.

For me, I would still probably choose Nook. Even though I'm a huge Amazon customer/fan, I love our local Barnes & Noble stores and want to continue to support that company and other brick-and-mortar bookstores. Just my point of view.

--------------------
~*~*~*~Lisa~*~*~*~

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the things you did do. So catch the winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ~ Mark Twain

msolarchick
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Tue Nov 16
Loc: PA.
Re: Kindle or nook? new [Re: LBS]
      #4012558 - Mon Feb 20 2012 02:44 PM

My mom has a Nook and I have a Kindle Touch. The Kindle has a much faster response and start up time. Other than that, I haven't noticed much difference.

--------------------
These days I find it hard to function without my glasses, especially when they're empty!!

potmaker
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Thu Aug 11
      #4013995 - Fri Feb 24 2012 09:00 AM

I am a Kindle lover because of the special deals.

puyallupgirl
Has the Cleanest Cantaloupes in Town!

Reged: Tue Apr 22
      #4014055 - Fri Feb 24 2012 11:01 AM

I've never used a Kindle, but I'm very happy with my Nook Simple Touch and DD's Nook 1st Generation. Both are great for reading.

pdxmom
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Sat Jul 29
Loc: US
      #4014065 - Fri Feb 24 2012 11:31 AM

I just saw the results from a test that someone in the publishing industry did to see which they preferred. As far as simply reading experience, Kindle came in last behind Nook, Sony and one other (Kobo maybe?). They said the preferred ones had good e-Ink technology that made it seem more like reading a book and that Kindle's wasn't as good.

If I were going to get a new one (I have a Sony I'm fine with for now), I'd get a Nook Color. I like that you can download magazines and such. Publishers often have deals as good as what Amazon offers, along with other e-book retailers, so I wouldn't like being limited to Amazon deals. I also don't like how Amazon maintains control of what's on your device.

ashes888
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Fri Jun 01
Loc: Kansas
      #4014070 - Fri Feb 24 2012 11:46 AM

If you're just looking for an e-reader I am going to sell my Sony Touch as I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas

AshnZach
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Sat Feb 16
Re: Kindle or nook? new [Re: ashes888]
      #4014300 - Fri Feb 24 2012 08:59 PM

Thanks for all the input ladies
I'm leaning towards the Nook tablet. I wanted something I could access the web on as well as an e-reader. My neighbor has one and lets dd and his little girl play the games on it so she's excited about that part . Still trying to talk myself into actually buying it. I don't usually buy for myself but I thought it would be good to have while I'm in school.

--------------------
Mommy to Ash,Zach and Alexis

goosema
Knows her eBay!

Reged: Sun Mar 04
      #4014341 - Fri Feb 24 2012 10:16 PM

I know I am slow......was going to post sooner.......but

I have the Kindle fire and just it!

I can go on the internet and actually it is faster than my computer.

Plus Amazon has a daily 100 best Free list with books for the Kindle plus the free Apps games are awesome!

Not sure what the Nook has but thought I'd mention about the Kindle.

--------------------
~*~ Sharon ~*~

goosema
Knows her eBay!

Re: Kindle or nook? new [Re: goosema]
      #4014401 - Sat Feb 25 2012 03:15 AM

Just forgot to add above....... I downloaded a free scanner on the kindle.... so been listening to that some.

--------------------
~*~ Sharon ~*~

jaja510
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Wed Nov 12
Loc: NC Coast
      #4014404 - Sat Feb 25 2012 03:24 AM

I just got a Kindle Touch and love it since fellow fishies gave me websites to go to for daily free books. One site shows up in my inbox everyday with the freebies for the day and there are anywhere from 200-500 books to instantly download from every category. I love it, love it, love it! http://www.ereaderiq.com/
The Kindle is easy to navigate and easy to keep your books organized.

--------------------
I work so my dog has a place to live.

goonie10
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Thu Jun 02
      #4014412 - Sat Feb 25 2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

I know I am slow......was going to post sooner.......but

I have the Kindle fire and just it!

I can go on the internet and actually it is faster than my computer.

Plus Amazon has a daily 100 best Free list with books for the Kindle plus the free Apps games are awesome!

Not sure what the Nook has but thought I'd mention about the Kindle.

We have a Kindle Fire, too. Also really like it.
i think it's cheaper than the Nook Color tablet. My nephew has 1 of those and I thought it was nice enough, but I did not like it any more than my Fire.

KellyMarie37
rubba dub dub ~ She wears a scrub

Reged: Wed Mar 12
Loc: MA
Re: Kindle or nook? new [Re: jaja510]
      #4014737 - Sun Feb 26 2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

I just got a Kindle Touch and love it since fellow fishies gave me websites to go to for daily free books. One site shows up in my inbox everyday with the freebies for the day and there are anywhere from 200-500 books to instantly download from every category. I love it, love it, love it! http://www.ereaderiq.com/
The Kindle is easy to navigate and easy to keep your books organized.

Thanks for this site!

--------------------
Kelly

loveadeal
Brusha, brusha, brusha...

Reged: Thu Oct 03
Loc: Michigan
Re: Kindle or nook? new [Re: KellyMarie37]
      #4014742 - Sun Feb 26 2012 11:21 AM

I, too, love my Kindle. I held off on an ereader for a long time because I don't like to buy books. I usually get them from the library and my library doesn't have ebooks. Then I started paying attention to just how many free books are our there. I can find so many more free books for my Kindle than I can for my mom's Nook. I love reading on my Fire and I've never had any issues. Some people need or prefer e-ink readers. I also love Amazon. After Border's closing up, I find myself wondering what will eventually come of Barnes and Noble. Another reason I chose Kindle over Nook. I think the one you chose...both style and brand...should depend on what you want to get out it. Compare them side by side and go from there.

luvmy3
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Sat Sep 02
Loc: Hudson Valley, NY
Re: Kindle or nook? new [Re: pdxmom]
      #4014750 - Sun Feb 26 2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

I just saw the results from a test that someone in the publishing industry did to see which they preferred. As far as simply reading experience, Kindle came in last behind Nook, Sony and one other (Kobo maybe?). They said the preferred ones had good e-Ink technology that made it seem more like reading a book and that Kindle's wasn't as good.

That surprises me, when I got my Kindle I thought it was so much better than my Sony. I guess it truly is in the eye of the beholder.

--------------------
Kim
Mom to Haley(12) Brandon(9) & Adam(6)

cpnkimt
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Tue May 17
      #4014756 - Sun Feb 26 2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Just forgot to add above....... I downloaded a free scanner on the kindle.... so been listening to that some.

What is the scanner? Is that the emergency services bands?

goosema
Knows her eBay!

Re: Kindle or nook? new [Re: cpnkimt]
      #4015218 - Mon Feb 27 2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes police scanner! All you do is go to:

Apps,

then go to Store

then search in the box: scanner

then "scanner radio for kindle fire came up"

click on that and you should see that one for free!

--------------------
~*~ Sharon ~*~

BornToShop
Vengeance from Beyond

Reged: Fri Feb 14
Loc: Upstate New York
      #4015235 - Mon Feb 27 2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Thanks for all the input ladies
I'm leaning towards the Nook tablet. I wanted something I could access the web on as well as an e-reader. My neighbor has one and lets dd and his little girl play the games on it so she's excited about that part . Still trying to talk myself into actually buying it. I don't usually buy for myself but I thought it would be good to have while I'm in school.

If the ability to play/use the apps fits strongly in your decision then have another look at the Kindle Fire. The apps available for the Fire compared to those available for the Nook are far superior as far as quantity and availability.

DH has both the Nook Color and the Kindle Fire. I had the option after playing with his and went for the Fire. He prefers the Fire as well and never uses the Nook Color any longer.

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter"

sarahdsmom
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Sat Jul 09
Loc: AZ
Re: Kindle or nook? new [Re: BornToShop]
      #4015261 - Mon Feb 27 2012 07:25 PM

The Nook Tablet, which is not the same as the Nook Color has a 8GB model now at $199, on their site and I think at Walmart in the coming weeks if not now. It has the same internal storage as the Kindle but can hold more with it's micro sd card slot. Some say the Nook has a better screen. It is a little lighter in weight.
The Kindle continues to lead with more apps available than the Nook and more media with Amazon's cloud-based music and video download services.
I keep thinking about getting one but want to wait it out to see how many more come out in the next year and what improvements are made. I rarely buy the first generation of anything.

--------------------
~Melanee
Mom to Sarah (13)

cpnkimt
A Very Special Fishie

Reged: Tue May 17
      #4015292 - Mon Feb 27 2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes police scanner! All you do is go to:

Apps,

then go to Store

then search in the box: scanner

then "scanner radio for kindle fire came up"

click on that and you should see that one for free!

THANK YOU!!! DH and I have missed listening to his scanner after it broke.

He's pretty excited.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2072

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement Fishing for Deals Home

UBB.threads™ 6.3

Generated in 0.164 seconds in which 0.045 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

© 2000 - 2013 Fishing For Deals LLC